Working on a project for more than a couple of days was a fairly positive experience. Though, I will say editing a large document never is.
My experience translating was different this time — more difficult and time consuming. Translating into English is far easier for me, as I use it on a day-to-day basis, and because most terms and technologies are of English origin. While the repo did provide a glossary for common words to use to keep consistency and a technical vocabulary, it was not overtly extensive.
So a big resource was Wikipedia — as long as the term I wanted to find had an article about it AND a Spanish translation. Funny story, the word “default” was surprisingly difficult to translate. I sat staring at my computer for too long trying to figure out what the equivalent would be. It didn’t help that default is both a noun and a verb and a term that’s not exclusive to technology.
I tried Wikipedia, and to my dismay there wasn’t a Spanish version of the page, there was a Portuguese version which let me know that the word keeps getting erroneously translated to “defect value”. Fun times.
Overall, it was a great learning experience — passively about Gatsby unit testing, actively about little I know about the nuances in Spanish. I learned how to configure Jest to work with Gatsby, and that that “su” is the formal way of “your”…which was not the version the maintainers wanted.
This was also my longest translation, the whole document was 279 lines and without the code it was about 150 lines. It also required a deeper level of understanding. This just wasn’t a read me page, or some comments for a new small project.
There was a lot of reading and editing — I even asked my sister and father to proof-read my work as their Spanish is much better than mine — but there were still some translation mistakes and typos after I pushed. There were about 19 comments pointing out some inconsistencies.
A short summary of my mistakes:
- Used formal you throughout the documentation
- Added a line to the documentation instead of keeping the same count as the original
- Some wonky sentence structure
- Inconsistent use of terms. for example, keeping “mock” and “snapshot” as they are, but also using a translation
- The code was not the same! (…I don’t even know when I touched the code)
- Missing accents
Side note: Accents are definitely the worst thing about translating into Spanish. There really is no way to quickly type them and I always need to double check if a word needs them.
In the end, I feel proud of my work, even if it wasn’t perfect. I got to learn more about Gatsby and about translating. The feedback was great and I’m looking forward to continue working in this project.
Working on Telescope has been a mixed experience, I still feel unsure about the project, but I am learning a lot about what is like to work on an open source project with a lot of people. Everything moves fast and there are different project areas. I’m glad I have good communication with the group working on SAML.
My issue was to create a login page for SMAL testing purposes, which didn’t take long, but I did have to communicate with other contributors to know exactly what they needed since this page is for testing. My classmate, decided that for the single-sign on project he preferred to divide the steps required into small bits to keep the project moving and preventing several contributors from waiting on someone.
My request was merged with little issue, there were still some reviews, but they were fairly minor. I added the comments that were requested and my pull-request was ready to go!
Unfortunately for the classmate who merged my request, it appeared that humphd wanted to try out something without pull-requests being merged…