I have contributed to open source for about two months now. This experience has exposed me to different types of projects, and I have concluded that for me, the best project to get involved with long term would be related to translation. This allows me to get familiar with the project and better understand what something is supposed to do. The familiarity in the long run would aid me in solving other issues the project might have.
In order to contribute to the Spanish translation of Gatsby, you first need to be assigned to a file. This allows for each file to only require one pull request and it prevents from multiple people wasting their time by working on the same thing. To know the available pages, you simply go to the open issues and look through unassigned pages.
After finding a page you want to translate, the only thing you need to do is comment in the issue and wait until you are assigned, this might take a couple of days. You will now you are assigned when the moderators of the repo react on your comment and your username is put besides the document on the list.
It will be interesting to work on Gatsby as it is the biggest project I have worked on translating so far. It is also different as in my previous experiences, I was the only person translating any of the documentation so this is new for me. The process is more organized and moderated, which is understandable as the other two projects I worked on were significantly smaller.
“A tool for tracking blogs in orbit around Seneca’s open source involvement”
This project is meant to improve the current CDOT feed and it will be worked on by members of the open source class at Seneca.
I would be lying if I said working on this project didn’t intimidate me. I have a vague understanding on what the project is supposed to do and what its supposed to happen. Given that, it is unsurprising that I struggled to find an issue. How do you make an issue when there is nothing to work on?
It was stressful, everything was too abstract for me to even begin to narrow into something practical. There was clearly uncertainty; every time I looked at the project, more modules had been added and the only thing I could see were js files. When I reviewed a file request, I wasn’t even sure how to test a JS files that didn’t really interact with anything.
At least I found something to work on. One of my friends, wanted to work on the SAML2 login system, a process that requires to be broken down into several steps before we can actually implement it. We first need to mock up the system before we are able to get access to the actual information, and that means we need to set up some sort of server and the very least have a login page.
So that’s what I’ll be working on. Creating a login page that functions so we are able to test the SAML2 login.